Mesothelioma cancer, similar to other forms of cancer, can be treated in many ways. The past few years radical developments of mesothelioma cancer treatment methods have been made, and the survivability rate grew accordingly.
After diagnosing a patient, and before starting any kind of mesothelioma treatments, a set of clinical trials has to be performed in order to select the best treatment process for the specific patient. These clinical trials involve testing the pleura and the possible tumors that may have developed with different drugs in order to find suitable way of getting rid of the mesothelioma cancer cells.
Mesothelioma cancer treatment methods
These are the main options that this form of cancer can be treated with:
- mesothelioma surgery
- mesothelioma chemotherapy
- mesothelioma radiation therapy
- mesothelioma alternative methods (not to be found in mesothelioma treatment centers)
Surgery as a mesothelioma cancer treatment
Treating mesothelioma cancer using surgery means that the actual tumors and infected cells and tissue will be physically removed through one of the following methods:
- extrapleural pneumonectomy (best method for patients in later stages of the mesothelioma, also removes the lung on the side of the chest witch is affected by the disease)
- pleurectomy decortication (same as above, only it doesn't remove the lung)
- debulking pleurectomy (removes as much of the affected tissue as possible, to decrease breathing problems)
- lung decortication (removal of dead and affected tissue around the lining of the chest and around the lung)
- pleurodesis (prevents fluid build-up)
- thoracotomy (highly invasive procedure, allows for open surgery to take place) video assisted surgery (less invasive procedure)
Chemotherapy as a mesothelioma cancer treatment
This method of mesothelioma cancer treatment involves the use of very powerful drugs and chemicals which destroy the malignant cells and cancerous tissue. It is proven highly effective in many cases. Patients and their doctors turn to chemotherapy only as a last resort, but it can also be used in combination with other treatment methods.
Radiation as a mesothelioma cancer treatment
Radiation therapy is exactly what is says, treatment using x-rays to target and destroy the malignant cells. The advantage of using this method is that it leaves healthy cells and tissue unharmed, and so it can be used earlier in the development of the disease. This is used in the earlier stages of the disease.
Feel free to contact asbestosis and mesothelioma centers, when in need of a solution to your problem. We will direct you to people that are specifically trained to help you chose the best method of mesothelioma cancer treatment for your specific case.