Along the years, since mesothelioma cancer started to affect more people each year, researchers developed new drugs and treatment methods for this disease. These new kinds of mesothelioma treatments should be more effective in treating the disease, and be more forgiving to the body of the patient.
New treatment drugs for mesothelioma
The following fields are the ones where treatment for mesothelioma has evolved:
- photodynamic therapy (where cells are treated with an agent that makes those cells vulnerable to light at a certain frequency)
- new and improved chemotherapy agents (more effective than the old agents)
- gene therapy( modifies the genes of the patient so that the body is not letting cancer cells spread)
- immunotherapy( helps the body fight the cancer using its own immune system)
- new chemotherapy drugs (the drug named ALIMTA is in its test phase, but results are promising)
- new treatment methods using radiation therapy ( new radiation generating machines were developed that enable doctors and physicians to easily target the infected cells)
Because mesothelioma cancer is yet to be cured by conventional methods, patients and their families put their hopes into the newly developed treatment methods, drugs and procedures. Pleural mesothelioma treatment methods will evolve even more in the future, turning exposure to asbestos from a deadly disease, to a curable and manageable condition. Time is needed for methods, research and drugs to evolve and cure mesothelioma cancer.
New treatment for mesothelioma – ONCONASE
The problem with some treatment methods of mesothelioma, as with other cancer types, is that drugs also destroy healthy cells in the process of killing mesothelioma infected cells. This new treatment drug, called ONCONASE, is a smart drug. It is as effective as other mesothelioma drugs, but it is said that it can tell between healthy and infected cells and tissue, so it only attacks the malignant cancer cells. It is, as ALIMTA, in its testing phase, but the United States Food and Drug Administration have already approved part of the concept, and in about six months it will be available and used as a treatment for mesothelioma.
More new mesothelioma treatments
Contact asbestosis and mesothelioma centers if you need information regarding these new methods of mesothelioma treatments. We can explain the new concepts and knowledge, we can also tell you when certain new drugs will be available for use as treatment for asbestos exposure and they can give you mesothelioma treatment guidelines. Asking us about your condition is free.